Getting better quality prints?

Sup guys, was wondering if anyone had some tips on getting better print quality. I usually reduce my layer height to get the surface looking less rough, but otherwise I don’t do much. Thinking of printing out something for a lady friend and wanted to see what other settings I can play with to get things looking even better.

Basic Machine maintence

• A single drop of a machine oil, such as sewing machine oil, on each axis will help things run smoothly.
  • Check that your rods are square and pullies are tight.
  • Keep your print bed clean from dust and oil.
  • Make sure your nozzle isn’t getting clogged.
  • Make sure your feeder bolt is clean. Suggest adding a filament cleaner to your printer
  • Use a good filament. Not all filaments are created equal. Filaments can come with impurities inside that can affect the print.
  • Depending on your printer adjust the jerk/acceleration settings.
  • Create an enclosure to reduce drafts

Print Settings

• Reduce speed/acceleration.
  • If your print is looking ruff at higher layers check your temperature and extrusions/retraction speeds.
  • Adjust fill amount
  • Try a different slicer program. KISSlicer (Free and paid version), Slic3r (Free), Simplify3D (Only paid version), Cura (Free). There are many others too.

I’m sure @dan_steele and @fantasygraph can pitch in some more tips.

@tanya_Wiesner You covered a lot of ground. The only other thing I would really suggested is consider spending some time on post-production. Finishing your piece whether by paint, or abrasives or other techniques can make a huge difference. Tanya posted an article a couple weeks back on finish prints with Ethyl Acetate and it’s not a bad place to start…“Hammer Finish” “Stone Finish” or other textured paints can also transform prints in amazing ways.

I guesss I’d also highlight what Tanya says above Print Slower It’s easy to get into a mindset of I can shave x percent of time off by bumping up the speed a bit. Don’t do it, print slowly if quality matters, it makes a difference.

ALWAYS SPEC every roll of your filament(s). 1.75mm is just the standard, not the actual size. Every spool will vary, and dialing this in to the nearest 1,000th (eg: 1.7xx) in your slicer profile for that print, will show big improvements.

• use digital calipers
  • measure 2x @ 90* angle, in each spot (bump it twice, to make sure you are getting the same reading)
  • measure about 10-15ft, every 2ft
  • average out the specific #… write that # on the side of spool, for future reference.
  • you should do this several times per spool. Say… every 250-300g
    There are lots of other variables you’ll learn, material - temperature - speed - cooling - object geometry, and that where the ART of printing becomes the challenge for improving print quality… But always start with a specific diameter.

For quality print always use a good filament check out the site i found they have lots of info for filametns
and best 3d printer hopefully this will help you op source

For best techniques have a visit on apple customer service chat and also see the list of good products too.

Really helpful discussion … thankew <3

Want to get best quality prints?? I saw the site offering awesome custom printing services, i tried and i am fully satisfied.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this information!:+1:

Thanks for this useful discussion is very helpful for me and the quality prints is exactly what we are looking for my removal company https://removalsofberkshire.com and I hope I will not be disappointed from the quality.