Not entirely sure how to even ask this

I have been looking at some of the sites where stock and custom files are posted for sale, and I’ve seen one I like, for possible use in a project. Problem is, it’s nearly 6" in diameter, and I only need it to be about 1.1" in diameter.

Can STL or OBJ files be printed out at a different size than they actually are? I’m sure a good bit of detail could/will get lost, but the general shape isn’t too complex, and should still be workable.

I’d love to discuss this, and learn something about it!

Hi, stl files can be easily rescaled, if you need a precide dimension you can use meshmixer, or you can use the rescale function direcly in your slicer :slight_smile:
Probably there are even more ways to do it but for me the easiest way is to import the stl file directly into the slicer and use the rescale function built in it.

PS: if you want to scale down a “multiple part assembly” remember that clearances will scale down too so for example if you start with a clearance of 0.2mm to obtain a nice fit between two part if you scale down the object you will end up with a reduced clearance and your printer may not be able to achieve that kind of precision

1 Like

Yes, what Stefano said, obj files work the same way. You can learn to slice your models in half along with pegs and cavities installed in the separate parts. I use blender which is free for editing. I had a difficult time learning to do this but it is worth doing.

You guys are speaking Attic Greek to me.

I suppose I should have been much clearer when I asked the question, but I wasn’t so here’s a revision:

If I have a commercially-available 3D print file, and find someone willing to print it for me, can it be reduced in overall size? I have zero knowledge of anything having to do with 3D printing, and even less knowledge of any of the softwares used to create models, so all of this would be things done by others, to reach a final result I can use. Since I know nothing of this, what are the best things to tell someone who does, when I get to the point of having the work actually done?

Better?

Yes, it can be reduced in size. If the object that you want to print has small detail/tight fit parts can be a little tricky but in general it is possible.

Well, it depends of course, but the first thing (after an initial request) will be to send him the file and telling him “I need this to that dimension”. If you have a peculiar need tell him, and if he is “knowledgeable” person will advise you on what he thinks it’s correct to do and the final result he expect to obtain. In this case, communication is the key.

Well, heck… that makes a lot more sense to me.

I am usually reluctant to give out a lot of information, because it has been my experience over the last 15-20 years on forums all over the Internet, that nobody ever reads past the first part of the question, and ends up never answering the whole thing. They then get mad when you point out they never answered the whole thing, and even madder when you show them where.

So thanks for the excellent reply to the complete question, and for filling in the blanks I missed.

I’m coming down to the time where I’m going to have to start with this project, or it will never get done, if you know what I mean.

Thank you again.

Good luck with your project :wink: