Mostfun Pro: World’s First Intel Inside Desktop 3D Printer

Interesting article on 3dprint.com about a 3d printer with a intel chip inside: 3dprint.com Link

1 Like

This looks really cool. I love it when companies build off the shoulders of others instead of fully re-inventing the wheel each time. I’m all for better compatibility and less drivers!

1 Like

Yeah the printers having more horsepower definitely opens possibilities. I have a friend with a RoStock Max (A delta printer). When he first got it, it came with a 16bit Arduino based controller. When you looked at the print results they weren’t horribly but you could definitely see a bit of a wave on flat surfaces. The 16bit processor couldn’t recalculate head positions frequently enough to make them dead flat. He bought himself a 32-bit smoothy board and the results were beautiful (http://smoothieware.org/smoothieboard). The processor was fast enough to keep up with the head and making everything dead flat.

Of course there are lots of other advantages too, as soon as you have a real computer on your printer you can add Webserver based control software, built in slicers and all sorts of other good stuff.

Dan.

2 Likes