MendelMax 3 Full Kit Dual Extruder vs LulzBot Mini (printer under $1700)

I need help choosing a 3d printer. After several hours of research for my price point (under $1700) I came across two printers that look brilliant. The LulzBot Mini Desktop ($1250) and the MendelMax 3 Full Kit Dual Extruder printer ($1690). I am not afraid of DIY printers and actually would love to build one. I have experience building a reprap printer from HE3D whose instructions were written in broken English - luckily I was able to figure it out. I want a quality printer with a decent sized build volume. The lulzbot printer looks amazing however lacks dual extrusion and a large build size. After reading and watching reviews I do not know which to get. The MendelMax is $300 more. Is it worth it to get a bigger build size and dual extrusion with better extruders in exchange for a DIY build and lack of automatic leveling? I am definitely open to other 3d printers, however these two meet my expectations. Which one should I get?

List of what I want:
Quality (100 microns or under)
Printer Build Quality (I like the rollers and aluminum build on the MendelMax)
Print size (Over 200mm on all axis if possible - Lulzbot does not meet this)
Want to print ABS and Exotics
I’m a tinkerer - wouldn’t mind upgrading/DIYing
Cost effective and reliable (my reprap HE3D printer is anything but this)

Thanks,
Austin

The Monoprice Pro got a really good review on hackaday, but the build area is only 200 x 200 x 175

If you are willing to do a true DIY, the prionttable is very cool. Its website where you can buy kits from, you still have to source your own motors and belts and pulleys.
http://printtable.com/

its Build Area (mm) is
X Axis 340
Y Axis 320
Z Axis 300

Good luck, your MendelMax 3 kit would serve you well too.

autoleveling is a bit overrated, the 3 point leveling is actually pretty easy, 4 point was a real pain.

Dual extrusion is cool, but overrated right now, especially with the current tech. Tom did a good review on a new kickstarter that is doing dual extrusion in a different way.

in my opinion its not really worth it right now, and if you change your mind, most printers can add another extruder without a lot of trouble.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Thanks Jordan. I’ll definitely look into the printtable DIY design. Most likely I’ll end up with the MendelMax!