I need help fixing a couple of architectural models

Hi Guys,

I have some models I’ll like fixing. Can someone help with these please… they are architectural models! Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Montypaks

What sort of issues are you having with your models?

Thanks for replying!
The walls are too thin so when i go to slice, simplify3d just ignores them! thats the main issue.

@Montypaks

Typically it is tough to print features smaller than your nozzle diameter. Can you let us know your nozzle diameter and the small feature size that you are trying to print on your model.

A work around that may allow you to print the small features is to reduce the extrusion width in S3D. This setting is found under ‘Advanced’ and the ‘Extruder’ tab. Once in there you can change your extrusion width from auto to manual and adjust your extrusion width. You wont be able to go much lower than your actual nozzle diameter though. If you currently have a .4mm nozzle you can try .3mm extrusion width, this will allow you to print features as small as .3mm.

Keep in mind after changing your EW you may need to make other adjustments to have a good print.

Thanks Chris,

I tried changing the EW down to 0.3 but seems like the walls at the moment are less than 0.3mm thick cause simplify still doesn’t print them… What I have now are just floors hanging in mid air.

I assume the only way to solve this is to thicken the walls internally (so that external features of the building is not affected). Is there a way I can specify a minimum wall thickness all round of say 1mm?

My nozzle size is 0.4. I’m using a rep2

Thanks again

I would suggest downloading a program called Netfabb and run a model quality check. Program is free. Your design may have some issues that need to be addressed like unwelded vertex points that is causing simplify3d to not slice the design correctly.

If the walls are that narrow but the model is otherwise “correct” there’s probably no automated software that will fix your model, you’ll need to go in by hand and adjust the wall thickness. Depending on the form of the model this could be a time consuming and difficult process…

short answer=(.4mm nozzle, printing .5mm wall) Set nozzle size to .2mm. Extrusion Width “auto” will = .24mm.
S3D will now see this as 2 shells, but will only print 1 (will make 1 pass, then make a 2nd pass, directly over the 1st one,and at the same layer height, but not extruding. ???) Also set “Start Points” to random, b/c a straight vertical zipper does not bond properly.

long answer= The 1st test cube I use on all new/different machines and slicers, is the .5mm, 20x20x10, hollow thin wall cube. It’s a nice small calibration test, to check axis’s steps/mm, and start tweaking slicer parameters. Never had any problems before, but S3D couldn’t see it.
I bought S3D a year ago and didn’t like it. Waited for 3.0 and decided to just get use to it, b/c it has nice support generation, easy to configure multiple machine profiles, parts libraries(aka,Factory Files), and filament settings(aka,FFF processes).
But IMO, it is so counter-intuitive to other slicers, that I actually feel it has an UN-learning curve. Some of the advanced settings produce the opposite result, that all other slicers do.
Ex: Set the filament diameter higher, and it extrudes more!! ???
Ex: Layer Width normally controlled plastic extrusion(more=wider),
now with S3D, it controls “toolpath”(less=tighter line spacing)

I’ve only been testing it for a month so far, SO, if I am totally wrong about these perceptions, I will eat my words, and just get use the intricacies of this program :slight_smile:

@Montypaks

…I assume the only way to solve this is to thicken the walls internally (so that external features of the building is not affected). Is there a way I can specify a minimum wall thickness all round of say 1mm?

If you designed the model, you will need to adjust wall thickness’ within your modelling program of choice. Unfortunately these adjustments cant be made in the Slicer if that is in fact what you were asking