Ways/Ideas to get multicolored prints?

Anyone got ideas on how to get multicolored prints on a single extruder? This looked really cool https://pinshape.com/3d-printed-object/320-whale-toy

Somehow it didn’t even occur to me to switch filaments mid way to get different colors on a single print, but once noticing it, I’m seeing it a lot more like on lettering for signs that are 3D printed.

Wondering if anyone has other ways they’re getting multi colored print? Other than painting afterwards. I don’t like how painting kind of takes away from a 3D printed object when I give them away. It looks…less 3D printed. Best way is probably to design in different parts I guess?

Something like this maybe? Link

Campaign was unsuccessful but one could build and adapt their own version easily to their printer and depending on the filament could use sharpies.

This looks cool. It’s probably a little hard to tell when you’ll need to switch colors I suppose, so I suppose @Utrred, super precise colored prints are out of the question. But the whale toy you’ve shared is also not precisely colored, and it looks really good :slight_smile:

Here is an easy way to weld/join filament.

Just be sure to scrape to bulging off, flat, with a razor knife.

Saw this today on 3Dprintingindustry.com

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2016/01/08/64555/

You will have to disassemble an inkjet printer though, and the kit itself does cost $2.5K. Not sure if this is at all a good alternative.

Mosiac’s, “The Palette”
Here is what will probably be the next “must have” gadget for 2016, if it works.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mosaic3d/the-palette-3d-printing-evolved/description
http://www.mosaicmanufacturing.com/

For $1,000, it is a pretty advanced little machine. The antiquated STL file format is just for a single(none) color.
The new 3MF file format will be used to slice OBJ and PLY models that have pre-defined coloring schemes.
CURA has already implemented 3MF in to their new version lease. I recently updated CURA , and it took-over ALL of my STL file extensions, with “3D Model Files”, but that has not been a problem, as 3MF is backwards compatible with STL, so other slicing programs will still open them.
I can only confirm that S3D and IdeaMaker will open 3MF file extensions, but I am not sure if they can write the gcode that necessary to use “The Palette”, yet.

Just came into the office and saw your link to The Palette. Looked up a video of how it prints and it looks so great! I see that the standard version (without the filament module kits and 4kg of filament) is $799. Estimated shipping to begin in April 2016? Fingers crossed all goes well!

Here are three great options for 3D printers to choose from:

1. Original Prusa i3 MK3S: The Czech-based Prusa Research is known for having the best 3D printers around. It offers exceptional print quality and features like autocalibration and crash detection. Prusa’s slicing software is convenient and easy to use and the support team has great knowledge and responds quickly.

2. Qidi Tech X-Pro: This is a dual extension printer that’s ready-to-run when delivered. It has an enclosed printing chamber that is really helpful at the time of handling temperature-sensitive materials. What actually sets Qidi Tech X-Pro apart from a lot of its contemporaries is the removable magnetic build plate and the turbofan. Overall, it is an affordable and competent printer out there.

3. Artillery Sidewinder X1: It is a large build volume 3D printer, known for its qualities and reliability. It has some really amazing features like the hot ends for large printing. This hot-end allows a larger volume of filament to melt and flow. It also allows you to increase the print speed without any extrusion issues.

The original Prusa i3 MK3S is the most expensive from the lot, the other two options are between the price range of $500 to $600. If you are looking for high quality and affordable printing service then get in touch with Foamex Printing Company.