3d printing an ice tray..is it possible?

I had an idea for something I wanted to explore - and pinshape here is listed on my local library as the “place to come get info”…sooo…I had a few questions to help guide me on where to start for my first print :slight_smile: Any help appreciated…
So I wanted to do something simple…an ice cube tray (maybe a bit different but…basically an ice cube tray).

The library has access to 2 ultimakers, 3 and 2…something.

So my questions are -
A) what would you recommend as a program to persue and or make it in? Seems to be sketchup, or fusion 360 but I wanted a good…and or easy one ^.^
b) Probably not with those ones themselves, but is there a 3d printer, or system to print silicone?
c) What materials should I look into, or how would I go about making a working (and safe/sanitary) ice cube tray?
d) …just because i’m curious…can you put an edge (Without sanding) on a 3d printed model, or make it sharp. I’ve always been kinda curious o.0
e) if c) doesn’t work out, and no printed materials are freezer friendly, would printing a negative (Reverse) of the mold, and doing it in silicone work? (Despite more costs).

Any other info, or stuff to look into you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
I, have never tried to print something food related, but I hope I can give you a couple of advice anyway.

A)I started with 123D (I think it is no longer available) and then moved to fusion360, F360 is a great and powerful tool, but you will need some work to get used to it; a simpler program (but I never tried it) should be tinkercad

B)I don’t know if such thing exist

C&E)food safe materials are not sufficient to obtain a food safe object, for example brass nozzle can contain lead trace so they are not well suited for this kind of application, a stainless steel nozzle should be better for this application (but all your 3D printer in this case should be food safe, non only the nozzle!)
Even if your 3D printer is food safe your printed object will have layer lines, witch are not good because food can accumulate in those places and its very difficult to clean it completely.
I think that the best way to do an ice tray is to print a negative of it, smooth as much as possible the surface of your print (a smaller layer height should help but will increase the printing time) and then use it to make a mold.
In general I don’t feel confortable with printing something food related, in fact I have never tried :joy:

D) the best resolution you can obtain usually is along the z axis( for instance 100um or 50um layer height), i don’t think you can obtain a fully sharpened object directly out of a printer but still you can obtain quite pointy things.

I hope this will help :slight_smile:

I am using a Lexmark printer from last 2 months and its drawback also nice. When I had some problem with it I contacted Lexmark support for help. They are nice to help also. I suggest you use the same brand printer for better future.